Friday, December 25, 2009

I'll Be Home For Christmas, If Only In My Dreams



I just finished with my usual Christmas Eve. Goodness, that sounds so dull! Sigh and hooray: I just finished with my usual Christmas Eve!!! Christmas is definitely a time for remembering and appreciating traditions and Christmas Eve has always been a tradition for my family and I.

The day begins with much excitement, knowing that tomorrow is Christmas (it's practically here!). As I get older, the excitement becomes displaced with the feeling of disbelief: How is it already Christmas so soon? I felt like last years Christmas was yesterday, the memories of the past practically coinciding with the memories I am in the process of making. Weird.

On this day, my siblings and I watched "I'll Be Home for Christmas," starring Jonathan Taylor Thomas ♥♥♥♥♥ :) I dressed for the day and began working on my Christmas gifts. Two factors have been confounding with my gift-giving this year: (1) I have been entertaining people since the day I got home for break, and I have not had very much time to put gifts together, and (2) I have $46 in the bank...uhhhh....

We usually go to church, but since my dad and brother did not make it back in time, we did not go. So I helped my mom get ready for company and prep all sorts of wonderful food.


Every year, there is a family that spends Christmas Eve with us. This year, their father and husband passed away and this is the first season spent without him :( We took time to remember thing we will miss about him. But the evening was spent in good company, laughing at many stories and looking back on the year.

Near the end of the night we watch "It's A Wonderful Life." We watch it once a year on Christmas Eve, and I know most of the movie by heart. I love that movie :) I would love the opportunity to see what life would have been like had I not been here.

And now, mom and dad stay up ridiculously late doing all of the wrapping last minute. I am tired, but so excited to know that when I wake up in the morning, presents will be under our tree and we will spend a quiet morning together opening gifts as tokens of love in remembrance of what this season is all about. Let's not forget that.


Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a goodnight.

WAIT!! Can't forget my song of the day! Let's go with an excellent version of one of my favorites: "Grown-Up Christmas List" by Michael Bublé. Beautiful. Let's all have God's heart for the world.

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas! Sounds like yours will be wonderful. :)

    And that Michael Buble song is one of my favorite Christmas songs, also. His voice is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete